Thursday, February 3, 2011

sk8r grl

Spring Ads are out in full swing and being a surftown girl I can't help but notice the decidedly Dogtown-ZBoys tendencies in the latest batch of SS11 shoots. Obviously, 70s is experiencing a revival - please, that's only been beaten into our brains by every analysis this side of September - but now we're starting to actually see it commercially materialize and, frankly, I'm really feeling the lazy daze vibe. I'm still a fan of leather and army green cargo parkas, but I could totally go for some marigold sundresses and a nice vibrant wedge, perhaps a cherry-print ruffle bikini? I was raised on skateboards and sandy beaches - these ads look more like my hometown on a July day than something 'latest' - but I'm loving it, especially as I've grown so utterly sick of every spring collection featuring florals. Springtime, birds chirping, pastel flowers. Yes. We get it. Give me something new. True, the inspiration is probably actually from So-Cal but I'll take what I can get, yeah?
Below, a collage with my favorite ads and some 70s Cali girls and boys.

Marc Jacobs SS11; 70s Pierre Cardin dresses; Georg Jensen SS111; girl, Huntington Beach
skater, Huntington Beach; Gidget; flikr photo
Celine SS11; flikr photo; Bally SS11; flikr photo; Jil Sander SS11; unknown

and while we're at it, a nice dose of the original surf rock... under all this snow, we need some wishful thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment